Thursday, January 18, 2007

Clooney: Barackstar is "the most electrifying thing since JFK"


Barackstar begins.

And he's starting his Presidential explorations in the trenches of Hollywood. Advice: Barackstar, you are nobody in California without a good T-shirt. Might I suggest the one I will shamelessly plug for the next 2 years to the world?

Barackstar, you take Hollywood.

Myself, I am starting the campaign with poor hipsters: the "T-shirt people." This isn't really coordinated with the home office. I am a rogue campaign machine. I mean, why take the time to contact your office and do a bunch of boring stapling? I figure I will set up my own campaign office right here. This is Web 2.0, right? Time Magazine told me I could do just about anything from a keyboard. So I will.

I have high expectations for this T-shirt. I have been slinging political-history T-shirts for three years now at Sharpastoast.com with my 85 year-old mentor, James Lawrence Toast. We've sold plenty of humorous Taft ("Can You Dig it?") and Coolidge ("Keep it Coolidge") wares, but not nearly enough to get a knock at the door from Google to buy me out. So with 2008 looming, I have decided to use my T-shirt Jones to do the best I can to support Barackstar.

There is something else though. Sharp As Toast was originally created to inspire younger folk to take an interest in politics. I figured if I could get my friends to wear shirts that depicted Polk ("If it ain't Polk don't fix it") and Reagan ("Kick a Commie for Ronnie"), that we'd be closer to the voting booth. So far, it hasn't worked out that way.

This is then part of a different strategy. Use a T-shirt to directly spread the good word about the new JFK.

No comments: